Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [BUGTRAQ] RE: hacking the mitsubishi GB-50A

From: Joe <joe () avvanta com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:54:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, James C. Slora Jr. wrote:

If you read your own post you would realize that Mitsubishi
kept the device ipaddress prefix as 192.168.1 so only you
can attack yourself.

192.168 cannot be access from the internet ;-)
[unless you NAT at which point its your NAT config problem]

Wow, I'm glad to hear that machines with private addresses can't be
attacked unless NAT is misconfigured. I'm also glad that we only have to
worry about attacks coming directly from the Internet, and that our LANs
are as safe as ever.

A security "problem" that is only a problem if security =elsewhere= has been breached... is not a problem in and of itself. The breach of your LAN is the problem.

If the device can only be attacked locally then it's really a non-issue. This is why securing your LAN is of paramount importance - because once they cross your DMZ there is no end to the number of ways you're screwed.

--
Joe Harris         Administrator - Unix Systems
Avvanta, Inc       Security Officer Abuse Contact