Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Firewire Attack on Windows Vista

From: bzhbfzj3001 () sneakemail com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:01:45 +0100 (CET)

Actually they can be prevented by instructing the controller to filter the adresses the devices send. Then again, that's work, and physical attacks are typically considered low-risk, so I guess it's not found worth it.

The obvious reason to mention Vista is of course that Microsoft likes to talk about how they made it oh-so-secure, which is a nice contrast to leaving a large hole open that they have known about for at least 3 years.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait until someone releases a tool that uses this vulnerability to break either Vista's activation or its DRM.

Martijn
PS. I'm on the list, and the address you see will be closed as I don't feel like dealing with the out-of-offices, so reply on-list and don't bother to CC. Thanks!