Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera 9.6x file:// overflow

From: send9 () chiseclabs com
Date: 20 Nov 2008 19:50:07 -0000

I don't mean to come off as a jerk here, but, most of the questions that have been asked were mentioned in the original
message and in k`sOSe's code.

As I've said, Opera does not allow you to invoke the file:// handler from the Internet. I am not sure about Java
applets, but JavaScript is the method used in the exploit code. We tried window.open() and window.location but neither
allow it work. If you can get it to work, please let us know!

As far people that said "it worked" when a new tab opens with an error -- no, it did not work. It "works" when it the
browser crashes, or ideally, calc.exe opens. I feel like Opera silently fixed this, but I don't have the time to figure
it out right now.

Please, take the time to read the original message a little closer and review the PoC. I realize that it doesn't answer
all questions, but it will answer a lot that have been asked here! :)

send9