Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: POC & exploit for Apache mod_rewrite off-by-one

From: arulvadivel1 () rediffmail com
Date: 19 May 2009 12:30:27 -0000

Hi Jacobo,

If my httpd.conf file has defined with the follow directives, could you please let me know whether it will be affected
by this vulnerability or not?

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]

I think, it will not be affected as per the below information:
This flaw does not affect a default installation of Apache HTTP Server. Users who do not use, or have not enabled, the
Rewrite module mod_rewrite are not affected by this issue. This issue only affects installations using a Rewrite rule
with the following characteristics:

    * The RewriteRule allows the attacker to control the initial part of the rewritten URL (for example if the
substitution URL starts with $1)
    * The RewriteRule flags do NOT include any of the following flags: Forbidden (F), Gone (G), or NoEscape (NE)

Regards,
Ramesh