Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Insufficient Authentication vulnerability in Asus notebook

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:56:59 +0200

On 2009-05-14 nameless wrote:
Steve Quan wrote:
Is there something like su/sudo in the Windows world ? How do windows
administrators handle this (ie accountability) ?

There is "runas".

Indeed. There's also a variety of third-party tools like SuperiorSU [1].

There is no accountability with the local admin account.  You can
disable the account and use domain credentials, but when the domain
isn't available, you're screwed, so it is a poor decision.

I wouldn't agree entirely. It depends on who is given the password for
the local administrator account. You only have no accountability if more
than one person knows that password.

[...]
In regards to changing the Admin account name, why make it easy for
the kiddiots?  It is trivial for any of us to bypass this, right?

Please elaborate. What attack scenarios do you see that aren't mitigated
by a strong password? Besides, even if you change the login name, the
SID of the account (which is well-known) still remains the same.

[...]
Changing the Administrator name is just another layer in the onion of
your defensive strategy.

I entirely fail to see what additional security that will gain you, so
please explain.

[...]
And I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but does anyone really use
LM-hashes anymore?

I don't believe they're actually used by anyone anymore. However, the
use of LM-hashes is still enabled by default on any XP.

[1] http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=73

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."