Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /proc filesystem allows bypassing directory permissions on Linux

From: Dan Yefimov <dan () lightwave net ru>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:39:48 +0400

On 24.10.2009 20:59, Anton Ivanov wrote:
Not to tell about
that /proc/<PID>/fd/ contains only symbolic links, not files, so I can't
understand, how the original reporter managed to gain access to the file in the
restricted directory using that symlink.

The perms are definitely broken and without a code audit on procfs I
would not bet that this is limited just to this rather obscure test
case.

To be honest, I hope that it is limited to this rather obscure test
case. If it is not there may be entertaining ramifications.

Given my citation above (I personally use Linux), that obscure test case looks doubtful. If the original reporter uses some patched kernel, that doesn't matter others.
--

Sincerely Your, Dan.