Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /proc filesystem allows bypassing directory permissions on Linux

From: Jim Paris <jim () jtan com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:40:28 -0400

Marco Verschuur wrote:

Your assumption that the same file descriptor is being re-opened is
wrong!  The file descriptor retrieved via /proc is a new one. It is
not the same as the initial read-only.

Yes, I totally agree.

Therefor it's totally of no influence what you do with the original
directory permission. File access has nothing to do with directory
permissions...!

Right.  However the whole point of this discussion is that that is a
non-obvious point, there was no other way that the user could have
opened that file without the use of /proc.

Imagen:
- a house surrounded with a fence with all doors unlocked (file with
perm 0666)
- a drive-way leads to the gate in the fence and the gate is unlocked
(dir with perms 777)
- next we put a lock on the gate and don't give guest the key (dir with
perms 700)
- guest cannot access the house because he can't pass the gate
- now we take an airplane and parachute guest straight into the
perimeter of the fence (/proc access)
- guest can access the house (write the file), because the house has all
doors unlocked

Pavel required that the superuser have lax directory permisisons and
subsequently make them more restrictive, which led to a flurry of
removed this aspect to demonstrate that it is not a race.  In mine,
the directory permissions are 0700 from the start and there are no
races involved.

-jim