Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Linux kernel exploit

From: Stefan Roas <sroas () roath org>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:08:25 +0100

On Wed Dec 08, 2010 at 11:58:58, John Jacobs wrote:

I've included here a proof-of-concept local privilege escalation exploit
for Linux.  Please read the header for an explanation of what's going
on.  Without further ado, I present full-nelson.c:

Hello Dan, is this exploitation not mitigated by best practice
defense-in-depth strategies such as preventing the CAP_SYS_MODULE
capability or '/sbin/sysctl -w kernel.modules_disabled=1' respectively?
 It seems it'd certainly stop the Econet/Acorn issue.

Curious to hear your input as I fear too many rely solely on errata updates and not a good defense-in-depth approach.

Only for this proof-of-concept exploit. The real culprit is CVE-2010-4258. Commit
33dd94ae1ccbfb7bf0fb6c692bc3d1c4269e6177 in Linus kernel tree fixes the
issue by doing set_fs(USER_DS) early in do_exit(). I guess this will be in pushed
to stable series as well.