Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Circumventing Critical Security in Windows XP

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:05:52 +0100

On 2010-02-28 anonym () anonym com wrote:
administrator level doesnt matter much when we talk about
antivirus/firewall softwares because nowadays they have a builtin
protection that will try to prevent they get disabled, no matter what
is the user access rights over the system. if the software can be
disabled, then the flaw is in the software itself, and is indeed a
vulnerability.

They're using rootkit techniques to prevent the administrator from doing
what - by design and definition - he is *supposed* to be able to do.
Since this is not desireable, failing to do so certainly is not a
vulnerability. And no, there is no such thing as a "good" rootkit.

Any administrator who willingly allows this kind of crap withing arm's
length of their systems needs a good beating with a cluestick. Badly.

ps: on Windows XP users by default have admin rights when created, the
standard user is member of the administrators group. On Windows Vista
and later the standard user is admin too but the UAC forces the user
to have "user level" rights. but demonstration code has been published
to bypass this protection, then again that kind of modification (the
modification did by the sc command reflects in the registry in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in which only admins can write data) will be
possible.

Just shows what a big load of bullshit UAC is. I've been successfully
using LUA for years, and I don't see any reason at all to switch to UAC.

You cannot protect a system from its administrator without demoting him
from being administrator. Period. And if you are going to demote him:
who is going to fix your system when things go wrong?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
--Mark Russinovich