Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities in some SCADA server softwares

From: R Michael Williams <rmwstealth () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:46:44 -0500

While I support full disclosure, I also advocate responsible disclosure.  The public _has_ a right to know, but in this
case, they can play no significant part in remedy or mitigation unless they are employees of the vendor or the
customer.  I believe the best course of action for a SCADA vulnerability would be to let the vendor know first, let
them know you intend to disclose publicly after a reasonable time, then release to the potential customers in a
responsible time thereafter, and finally the public  (admittedly could be very arbitrary per researcher).  This way you
can hopefully get the fix started and let the security-conscious vendor notify customers how to defend in the interim
for defense purposes _before_ you let a potential attacker in on the problem.  Just my $0.02...

Sent from my mobile launching platform...