Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities in some SCADA server softwares

From: bugtraq () cgisecurity net
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:51:24 -0500 (EST)

If *any* threat exists,
that threat is increased by public exposure of unmitigated attack
methodology

I think you have it wrong.

Public exposure increases the visibility, and therefore customers
install the patches quicker.

Without public visibility, they will keep running the old code.

Actually both are true.

More systems will be owned by these unmitigated issues since more attackers will be aware of their existence. While it
is true
that others knew about these issues (always assume so), many more will know about them now, and more systems likely
will be exploited. This was certainly the case when tavis published an unmitigated windows vuln
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/30/windows_exploit_spike/ .

To your point people who 'are paying attention' will patch once a patch is available, and others who wouldn't normally
know
will see this in the news and become more aware of the issue/s. I don't think people on this list are arguing that
the public shouldn't be made aware of problems in these devices, they are arguing that POC shouldn't be published for
unmitigated issues as it doesn't benefit users.

If you can provide real world statistics to the list demonstrating proof that people are safer by being aware of
unmitigated
threats with working PoC's, please send it to the list. I don't ask this to flame you, I think that this is data that
people
would be genuinely interested in learning from.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.qasec.com/
http://www.webappsec.org/