Bugtraq mailing list archives

Regarding MS12-020

From: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:11:33 +0000

PoC code for MS12-020 (RDP) is obviously floating about, and many are still worried about worm activity from this.

One of my criticisms about this industry is that rarely is mitigation information shared or discussed; people seem to
concentrate on breaking and not preventing exploitation.  I wanted to point out that anyone who followed the processes
or techniques in my RDP chapter of Thor's Microsoft Security Bible (or used the tool I wrote for RDP access) would have
been automatically protected from this vulnerability.  That is not a point of ego, just a point of fact.

If you are concerned with RDP security, as you should be, you can read most (if not all) of Chapter 7 for *free* using
the Amazon "preview a page" feature.  If the RDP vulnerabilities have caused you any level of concern, then I suggest
you do.  Like I said on the FD list, I'm far more concerned with making sure people get the information they need (for
free of course) than I am trying to earn a buck - anyone who knows me knows I've always freely shared all information
in an effort to contribute to security.

The first think I will tell you is to always use NLA (network level authentication).  It can be a very powerful way to
obviate exploitability.  The rest of the information is all right there gratis for your viewing pleasure.

If you are in a pinch and need help with any of this, I'll try my best to help if you want to ping me offline.   Thanks.

Timothy "Thor"  Mullen
www.hammerofgod.com

There's no need to think outside the box if you don't
think yourself into to start with.