Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Gold Builds

From: Tom Parker <tom () rooted net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:26:36 +0000

At 20:31 29/11/2003, Dave Aitel wrote:

I guess, I'm still of the belief that what security consulting companies do is QA, but I think if you HAVE the pull to
make your vendors do their own QA, rather than doing it for them, it's nice to push that cost (and the "risk", as an
economist would say) back onto them.

lo Dave et al :>

I concur that many consulting companies are, in general performing remedial QA type tasks, which really could of (well
should of) been done in the initial development process; probably stating the obvious here. But isn't Information
assurance, by nature a form of Quality Assurance.. your just hiring people who are (purportedly :) expert in looking at
things from a specific angle. I guess Im just agreeing with your point, heh.

Anyway - Over the last 12 months I've been exposed to several such "gold builds", most of which we're for desktop
systems. Similarly to the scenario you described, the builds featured various bits of software, 3rd party to the OS,
which are used pretty much on a daily basis, many of said applications incorporating network based services. Now, due
to the sheer number of applications that are *required* to be installed on many "gold builds", the build gold build
baseline projects often overrun way past their deadlines due to problems getting things even running. With a chorus of
screaming upper management wondering why the project has missed deadlines and why is it now costing the firm twice the
money in software engineers alone, where do you think that leaves any consideration for the security of the thing :>

As for the operating system, Microsoft do indeed liaise fairly closely with larger clients who are intending on rolling
out their products into a gold build, ensuring their needs are catered for; however I think its unrealistic to expect
the same across the board - especially as there is often little or no choice whether you include the software in the
build or not, since your cooperation already relies upon it to operate and therefore, it must be included. And unless
you've been lucky enough to have a serious incident, costing the firm millions, your then arguing theoretical threat
against inhibition of operational capability which, as im sure you appreciate is a fairly futile argument to have with
most non-security savvy decision makers.

Hope I haven't missed your point too much. Just my random 1am spam.

-Tom