Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Ant Farms versus Ant Communities

From: Mordy Ovits <movits () bloomberg com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:04:26 -0500

On Monday 15 December 2003 05:08 pm, Dave Aitel wrote:
I want nanotechnology to get to the point where I can put a little
transmitter in every ant in a colony, and study it from an information
flow perspective. Somewhere in the two millimeters of ant is a program
for doing cooperative transmission of information far better than Kazaa,
that scales to billions of ants and can protect itself from outside
interference. Perhaps we can build a FreeNet that works afterwards?

Richard Feynman, in his book Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! wrote about
his fascination with ants.  He spent a lot of time analyzing their behavior,
and self-organization.  He would create a hypothesis about how they
accomplished some complex behavior, and then devise a test for it.
Typically, these tests involved him ferrying around ants on pieces of paper.
Try to imagine a Nobel Prize-winning physicist carefully shuttling ants
around his house.  I really wish I had known him.

Oh, and he also is the father of nanotechnology.  He lay the groundwork with
his 1959 talk entitled There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom.  Transcript of
the talk:
http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html

Mordy
--