Dailydave mailing list archives

Forest Ants, GRSec Pd, etc.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 11:47:40 -0500

Hmm. I wonder if in the long run the market will just shift towards open source since it's just better value for the money. I can't see how it wouldn't be. Building a security product on top of linux is 1000 times easier. For example, if you wanted to design a Palladium-like device on top of GrSecurity, you'd pretty much just have to do the encryption (assuming that your kernel is trusted is a much better decision with 2.4.23-grsec than it is with NT 5.2). Someone should fund a project to do so...maybe Brad wouldn't mind getting funded himself?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001826470_microsoft31.html

Yesterday I was reviewing some closed source software that has gone open source. You can definately tell that the code was never meant for the public eye. It's really humilating for the programmers for other people to see some of the things there. I rewrote my httpwizard.py to take advantage of their protocol, but it's hard when they track session objects loosely, and eventually run out of them, or when they leak memory with every connection, and eventually run out of memory.

As promised in the previous posting, I was going to post a picture of these cool singaporian ants in this message, but the pictures came out all blurry. For some reason, "Forest Ants" have a spider-silk-like mechanism when annoyed. I wish I knew why.

-dave