Dailydave mailing list archives

Re[2]: Consulting companies are not recruiting companies

From: Halvar Flake <halvar () gmx de>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:35:25 +0100

Hey all,

DA> As far as most beginners feel, they are in fact, beamed in by aliens.
DA> We're not talking an advanced exploit development class taught by
DA> Horizon,  Noir, and LSD (etc etc) here. We're just talking something
DA> that gets someone with very little programming experience into writing
DA> basic Windows stack overflows. It's that first one that's the hardest.
DA> To do this, you need a pure-python framework that lets students
DA> concentrate on one aspect of the job at a time. What doesn't scale are
DA> the instructors...

I am not sure if it makes much sense to get people that are not fluent
in assembly (e.g. very little programming experience) to write
exploits, specifically for anything that is closed-source. As soon as
they run into their first "real" problem, they will be lost &
confused; teaching them how to do a "by-the-book" exploit for a stack
smash is IMO not all that much help. Teaching basics is oftentimes
more helpful than teaching "advanced" moves without the basics.
Then again, I tend to be delusional and think the way I walked is the
"right" way, which is oftentimes plain wrong -- no need to repeat the
same mistakes over and over when one could learn from them.

Ahwell. Has anyone on this list heard of a conference called CCCT'04 ?
Or of an organisation called IIIS ?
http://www.iiisci.org/ccct2004/WebSite/Default.asp
I would be very grateful if someone on this list could clue me in on
what they are and what they do -- I haven't heard of them before, and
the CFP for their conference is quite unusual.

Cheers,
Halvar

--
Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen
Halvar Flake                            mailto:halvar () gmx de