Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Today's thought

From: "Chris Eagle" <cseagle () redshift com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 03:48:53 -0700

Halvar et al wrote:
Hey all,

There are a lot of companies getting funding right now that do source
code analysis, varying from fancy regexp matching on gcc's preprocessor
output to real AST generation and inspection. No interfunction value
tracking (similar to code coverage in that people underestimate its'
usefulness in these scenarios) yet, as far as I know, though.

IIRC Coverity has interfunction value tracking -- if you hook at the AST
layer in GCC, it should not be _that_ hard
to pull off, and I am quite surprised that @stake's product doesn't seem
to do it (as far as I can infer from the examples they showed). Ahwell,
there's going to be v2 soon I assume.

Dave failed to mention that he was quoted in this article:

http://news.com.com/Will+code+check+tools+yield+worm-proof+software%3F/2100-
1002_3-5220488.html?tag=nefd.lede

Coverity and @stake cited as well.

Chris