Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Funny story.

From: "Jonathan Sabo (Contractor)" <jonathan.sabo () nrl navy mil>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:16:01 -0400

Matt Hargett wrote:

So those are my recommendations for the day:
1. Don't insult the nice dominatrix
2. Don't buy a Blackberry over a Sidekick. In fact, go get a Sidekick now along with some Hiptop stock. It's far more likely that the Sidekick will get some really cool exchange syncing applications than it is that the Rim will get a decent user interface.

Not necessarily. Danger, Inc (makers of the hiptop) have at least two major problems: 1) You can't make an app for it and distribute it. You have to get it signed, approved, etc and they haven't done that for very many people. To me, this seems like they don't understand the platform is a commodity and it's the apps (and the usability thereof) that really sells these things.

2) Related to point 1, is that T-Mobile's contract restrictions are part of the reason they haven't opened up their platform or done much with it.

The other things, like the fact the hardware is substandard and most people have gone through 3 a year since they came out, the radio firmware still wasn't quite ready for primetime when they shipped, etc, etc. I would wait for their rev2, and pray for an open platform that you can actually write apps for and give to people that can also run it.

On a side note, my former roommate of 5 years, Robey, is an engineer there and he said played me some of the songs we wrote together in MIDI form on his hiptop. I don't know if they shipped with any of them with those "sample" songs -- can anyone take a look/listen?

(None of the above information came from Robey, btw. Danger is just in Palo Alto and several of my friends have them and have dealt with the nightmare they can be. A couple really like them and have had minimal problems, though, if you don't count that T-Mobile uses Cingular's network in the Bay Area and it is... highly suboptimal.)

I had my eyes on the Treo 600; anyone have experiences with that? (Not that I have any money to buy such a thing ;>)

Actually, you just have to get the dev key off of danger.com. Check out all these apps that have been created for the sidekick which you can easily install on your own phone. T-mobile's service sucks in my area and I have gone through 3 different phones but its not that hard to social engineer a new one for free.

http://www.skdr.net

Ez,

--
Jonathan W. Sabo