Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Self updating worms?

From: "Jonathan Wilkins" <jwilkins () microsoft com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:57:44 -0700

I think that people are getting a little sidetracked with discussions
around who would do this sort of thing.  I think that history shows
that if it's possible, it'll be done.  The main reason I had for
discussing this in the first place is that current defences to worms
seem to rely on the fact that worms tend to be noisy, stupid and that
defences are pretty simple (just install the patch).

It seems that people are convinced that this is actually possible,
and Dave doesn't even seem to think it's as complicated as I do.

The real question is this: what defences will work against a slow
spreading, quiet worm?

Current response pretty much goes like this:
1. someone goes "oh shit, my firewall's getting hammered, what's going
on?"
2. someone gets a copy and the reverse engineering starts
3. someone figures out what hole is being exploited
4. everyone reprioritizes that patch and starts installing it

What happens when the total traffic is too small to notice and days
or weeks go by between probes?
What happens when the exploit being used is different across instances?

I'm working on a few ideas, but I don't have anything that I haven't
been able to beat yet.