Dailydave mailing list archives

[Fwd: Re: Total cost of ownership]

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:14:12 -0400

So, attached is a sample of the many funny emails I still get about that TC0 paper I wrote a while back. I dunno why people get upset if their OS is called a toy. I like to use toys.

On the other hand, Mac OS X has a generally poor level of security, from argv[0] bugs, to kernel bugs, and everything in between. That's fine, cause they don't have too many remote services, but the remote services they do have have bugs. So from a security standpoint, it's a game as well. Perhaps Yahtzee. (http://www.rekenwonder.com/yahtzee/yahtzee.htm)

Every time I get one of these emails, I want to release one of the kernel bugs Sinan Eren found during an afternoon with his wife's laptop. But I never do. It's just too much work.

On the other hand, we're announcing a new product release today, so, happy halloween. :>

-dave

--- Begin Message --- From: John Driedger <johndriedger () mac com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:16:43 -0600
You harm any reputation you may have by inferring a Mac is a "toy". I heard that in 1984. Wrong then, wrong now. You must think that because it's pretty it can't be serious. Maybe you are too lazy to learn another platform, or you are afraid of being converted to the good side?

I read the review of your article at Mac360.com They mock your statements and ask where the data is to back it up.

http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/ mac_os_x_called_toy_by_microsoft_apologist/

No, I didn't read the article. Hearing you call OS X a "toy OS" is all I need to know about it.

Tell you what I did read. David Coursey who used to write for ZNet (and used to be a Windows user) had an article about getting fed up with his Windows machine and wrote something about to get his work done, it was time to do it on his Mac. He had over 1,400 comments made about his article. I read every one. 80% were people (many IT pros) talking about how utterly stupid it is to have to do all the crap you have to do to keep these Windows machines running. It was amazing the number of people that slammed Windows on this wintel site. Another 20% were giving advise on how easy it is to do this or that to keep them going. Point: You don't do any of that on a Mac. Strangely, David no longer writes for ZNet, do you think he was drummed out of town for turning into a Mac user?

To not say there could be a place for OS X in many situations (especially X Serve) just shows your ignorant bias (I'm guessing you didn't recommend OS X for anything).

How's that "Longhorn" coming? I can't wait for it. I mean really, I can't wait for it. Why are you waiting for it?

John Driedger wrote:

I hear your "research" called OS X a "toy OS".

That is an ignorant asinine comment. Windows is junk, and I can prove it.

You're hilarious. Did you even read the article?
-dave

--- End Message ---