Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Non executable memory pages with AMD64 + XP SP2

From: "Maynor, David (ISS Atlanta)" <dmaynor () iss net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:35:39 -0500

I have looked at it in detail. At first I though I was just a super
duper shellcoder because all my payloads executed with no problem. After
more investigation I discovered that the SP2 implementation of the NX
technology covers only vital windows services by default. This means
that you hello world or basic stack overflow that you write will not
receive the protection until it is enabled system wide.

32 bit XP SP2 does use NX technology if running on a processor that
supports it. It has to run in PAE mode though.

I wrote a white paper for ISS on these shortcomings. It should be made
public pretty soon.