Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: For those of you that don't know....

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:11:43 -0500

At 01:26 PM 12/13/2004 -0800, Rodney Thayer wrote:

"Show me an IPS implementation and the probability is 1.0 that
I can find a geek at a competitor who will proudly tell you about
all the attacks that can sneak past it."

This is very true. Since my Dragon days, I keep in contact with
many SEs, product managers and CTOs at IDS/IPS companies. They
all have each other's stuff in the lab and can all bypass each-other.

For that matter, I have a lot of customers who use Tenable's
console to aggregate IDS/IPS logs from Snort, Dragon, Proventia,
.etc and they all see different stuff. I used to think that
all signature NIDS ended up detecting the same stuff, but I still
see a lot of variation in the technology.

Ron Gula