Dailydave mailing list archives

Cell phones for eavesdropping - finally some public "chatter"

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:06:05 +0200

/Pan intended on the subject line!/

Okay, so, we have all known cell phones are "dangerous".

Some stricter organizations ask us to turn them off. Some even ask us to
remove the batteries. In one case I was asked to leave it at the front
desk and sign it up in the vault... while some other orgs, still aware
of security, ask that any of these precautions be done only during
meetings.. or at least for people not to say stuff through them.

Policy.. who not many follow if they even try and dictate.

Forgetting viruses, bluetooth, etc. for a second, and letting go of
interception risks, here is whatever everybody always talks about and
nearly never prove:

http://wirelessimports.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=347
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200206/msg00031.html

Also, check out the IEEE Pervasive article that mentions this problem
area. http://csdl.computer.org/comp/mags/pc/2004/04/b4011abs.htm

Thanks go to David Dagon for the links.

        Gadi Evron.