Dailydave mailing list archives

Vuln scoring system anyone?

From: Tom Parker <tom () rooted net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:23:44 +0000

So what are peoples thoughts on:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7040

It strikes me that although it may be a good idea to try and rate a vulnerability based on its severity,
using metrics which measure factors such as ease of exploitation, initial levels of access required etc,
rating the "urgency" of an issue (which sounds like remediation prioritization to me), solely on the
severity seems like a mistake. People are going to use these ratings to prioritize remediation, and yet
their metrics seem to say nothing about the respective asset. Perhaps I've missed the point of the system
here; this is a topic I gas about all of the time, so I wont bore you - I'm just curious to hear what people
think.

Peace,

-Tom