Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Api hooking papers ?

From: Nicolas RUFF <nicolas.ruff () edelweb fr>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:03:14 +0100

Well I want to hook winsock (send and receive ), maybe my aproach is wrong
please correct me (???)  :> Or at least i wanna try :> I need so I can compress
and decompress the data before it is sent or received and it is for a project
(student), or maybe for a diploma work :>

Hooking Winsock API is not the easiest thing to do as a diploma work, because all function addresses are hardcoded and checked on startup ...

Exemple :

On Windows XP SP2, download the debug symbols for ws2_32.dll and look for CheckForHookersOrChainers(). This function will match GetProcAddress() results against all functions defined in the apfns[] array ...

Good luck !
- Nicolas RUFF