Dailydave mailing list archives

Does size matter?

From: Gigi Sullivan <sullivan () sikurezza org>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:07:27 +0100

Greetings,

   it's not my intention to send spam, despite the email's subject :)

   What I'm referring to is related to shellcode (or call it whatever you
   want) size; it's common knowledge -- or at least it used to be so, IMHO --
   that it may be possible to experience size constraints while trying to
   overflow a buffer (just think about plain stack-based overflows without any
   kind of protection/mitigation techniques) so that one is unable to find
   enough space to store his fancy executable stuff... directly into the
   overflowable buffer.

   So I was just curious: does size really still matters nowadays or we have
   enough space to do whatever we want in order to execute our shellcode [1]?

   Are there any difference between OSes? (i.e. usually Windows apps offer (as
   a feature? :)) just enough space to do our job)

TIA, bye
Lorenzo

[1] yes, syscall proxying and other cool methods could help us developing more
    complex shellcode without worring too much about size, but I was thinking
    about old shellcode contests where the winner was who had it more
    little (always shellcode buddies, always shellcode :))

--
Lorenzo Cavallaro `Gigi Sullivan' <sullivan () sikurezza org>

Until I loved, life had no beauty;
I did not know I lived until I had loved. (Theodor Korner)

See the reality in your eyes, when the hate makes you blind. (A.H.X)