Dailydave mailing list archives

Some recent articles

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:29:49 -0500

I don't know how many of you have seen this:

http://www.digital-law.net/IJCLP/Cy_2004/ijclp_webdoc_10_Cy_2004.htm

I think it's interesting especially in the context of this:

http://www.fcw.com/article88407-03-25-05-Web

You can see a few players out there wishing there was a way to "regulate" more, of course. It's funny, because if what they wanted was security, they would just stop installing their applications on Windows, and use GRSec instead. What they really want is "free security" which is different. Basically, the cost of ownership of Windows (despite all their recent work) is so high that people should really only use it as a platform if security is not a concern, is what the government is trying to say.

Of course, I fully expect that Microsoft will say that what really needs to be regulated are those pesky researchers.

-dave