Dailydave mailing list archives

bleeding nessus [was: Re: Funny note here on a worm]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 01:28:19 +0400

So someone who submits one, maybe two Nessus plugins which took 5-10
minutes to write is entitled to what? Lifetime updates? If folks submit
plugins to us, they go right into the GPL feed. If folks submit plugins
to us on MS Tuesday for new vulns, we don't accept them. It doesn't
mean they can't publish them someplace else though, or use them on
their own. I also really don't like the argument that somehow open
source security projects are responsible for providing free securing
solutions for non-profit organizations.

Oh come on.

Tenable is known for saying:
"There is no need for a community, we already have a nessus community!"

Hey, let's start a community... get people writing plugins and get
things going, but no...

"There is no need for a community, we already have a nessus community!"

But then...

"
If folks submit plugins
to us on MS Tuesday for new vulns, we don't accept them. It doesn't
mean they can't publish them someplace else though, or use them on
their own.
"

What other place?!

Tenable is the most confusing company out there;
1. They do great work, and should be appreciated.
2. They want to earn money rather than give everything away for others
to earn money with, which is good.
3. They keep saying there is a community and they run it.
4. They keep resisting anything not-tenable, and admit to denying
whatever might be against their own money-making agenda (which is also
cool).
5. They claim to run an open community for nessus. That is very cool.

Just tell me how it all works together? Not so cool.

I much prefer SF's way of doing things with snort. There is a snort
community with GPL rules, with nessus there is just some sort of
dictatorship and very limited number of people writing plugins.

That is all once again cool, but don't sell ice to Eskimos, m'kay?

If your point is being commercial - I have nothing against it, good
luck! But don't give us this kind of two-faced statements about
supporting open source and building an open community based on
contribution and mutual assistance.

I think it's time a tenable free nessus community got assembled. It is
becoming apparent that it will never work with them.

Much like there is a Bleeding Snort, I suppose it's time for Bleeding
Nessus?

        Gadi.