Dailydave mailing list archives

A single line drawn by Picasso, an Iraqi artist, and a buffer overflow.

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:28:02 -0400

Thomas's posts are again genius. He needs to cross post them here, so I stop doing so. :>
http://www.sockpuppet.org/tqbf/log/

Speaking of buying exploits, I've been toying with the idea recently that exploit purchasing is done on the artwork principle. I.E. rather than modeling it as a commodity or based on game theory, people should model it the way they purchase paintings. People don't just purchase paintings based on the colors and weight. They tend to think of a certain historical context. Recently, a friend purchased a painting for me in Tikrit. This painting, while worth a lot more, imo, cost around 15 dollars. Surely this concept comes into play with exploits as well. Was the GOBBLES apache-nosejob.c exploit worth more because of the exciting events that surrounded the disclosure?

I offer this humble offering to the economists of the vulnerability disclosure debate future. :>

-dave