Dailydave mailing list archives

Fwd: Classified Email

From: caelyx <sigint () caelyx net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:19:45 +1000

[reposted, to the list this time]

Hey,

Sorry this is so late; I didn't see any replies, and I thought this
might be remotely valuable.

On 4 Jun 2005, at 00:15, Dave Aitel wrote:

Here in Harlem (always the best place to advertise advanced
technology) every bus station has a three meter advertisement for
the Microsoft Office system on it. The one near my house has a
picture of a dwarf triceritops head on a human body.

Anyways the advert says "Classified emails and reply-all buttons
don't go together - the Microsoft Office System". This always
puzzles me.

At best, it seems badly worded. :)

AFAIK, the technology they're really selling is called 'Office Rights
Management', which is the first application of the 'Windows Rights
Management' stuff they're selling now. Essentially, individual
documents (incl. emails, webpages, Word docs, etc) are "protected" in
terms of who can read them and what they can do with them. So, Alice
could say that only Bob and Charlie can read her email telling them
that she's thinking of firing Eve, but they can't forward it to
anyone or print it.

The mechanics are a little messy (there's something like 4 separate
RSA keys involved in any given transaction), and I've got a diagram
somewhere in a presentation that a Microsoft rep gave me, if that
would be helpful. In essence, each protected document gets encrypted
against a document-specific AES key, which is then encrypted against
the rights-management-server's public RSA key. That's then attached
to a XrML document saying who can do what with the file, which is all
then signed by another key (the sender's, I think). The whole signed
XrML document is then appended (or prepended) to the encrypted
document. When you get the file, you strip off the XrML and hand it
to the RMS along with your authentication information (AD
credentials). If you're allowed access to the file, it hands back the
key and you can decrypt the file.

The whole system relies on the claim that the applications (office
and IE mostly) are impervious to attack, and will always obey the
limitations in the XrML. I don't imagine that it'd be too difficult
to break, if you were really serious. Otherwise, you could always use
terminal services and hit print-screen or take a photo of the screen
to get around the 'thou shalt not copy-paste, nor print' restrictions.

Oh, and Microsoft tell you to save a rights-unencumbered (i.e.:
unencrypted) version of your document before you encrypt it. In a big-
business environment, most users are going to dump that on their (not-
so-)'secure' network drive anyway. :(

[snip] How many companies go so far as to purchase "Confidential"
stamps for their employees, or even educating them on what's
confidential and what's not? What company has more than one level
of confidentiality in the normal workforce?

AFAIK, it's one of those things that ISO 17799 unilaterally declares
to be important. As a result, companies who need to be able to claim
compliance install schemes. Most of the financial institutions here
(Australia) have gone to great lengths to establish and maintain
differentiated confidentiality levels.

Hope that was at least slightly interesting.

#sim