Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Ants, trees, etc.

From: David Klotz <bucky () speakeasy org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:50:28 -0700 (PDT)

The halting problem essentially says you can't write a general program which
will verify whether ALL programs will halt or not (when using a computer with
infinite memory by the way).  While not an expert on this,
I suspect you could also use it to formally prove you can't write a general
algorithm that determines if ANY two programs behave the same on ALL input.

However, I don't believe it prohibits you from writing an algorithm which takes
two simple pieces of code, some static set of input, and seeing if the code
behaves the same on that input.  If it did, I don't think we could do any
automated code analysis, no?

--
-bucky () speakeasy org