Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Lynn / Cisco shellcode

From: Ejovi Nuwere <ejovin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:28:04 -0400

I didn't think what happened to me in Japan, government pressuring
private companies to with hold publishing research at the final hour,
could happen here. Especially research that was already widely
understood.

Several points seem vaguely familiar.
1) Requesting that the material not be presented made the situation worse
2) Government (presumably) never contacted the researcher directly to
explain their point of view, instead relied on a companies commercial
interest to get things done.
3) The government's involvement raises the question as to just how
vulnerable they are?

b) ISS has been working with Cisco on this issue for 6 months, and Cisco
has been fine with the content for the majority of that time, and even
approved the slide deck he sent to BH.  Two or three weeks ago, the
Department of Homeland Security called Cisco and asked for the research
to be squashed, and that this decision was made at the John Chambers-ish
level.  ISS agreed quickly with Cisco (perhaps due to their large number
of Gov contracts) but there were some negotiations over what to do.
Apparently, Lynn made the decision to talk at the last minute, and
totally surprised ISS.