Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Nmap/Nessus copyright

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xelerance com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:43:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, ADT wrote:

 Basically, I can't use Nmap code in my own GPL'd applications because
now a non-GPL application can't process the output of my application;

That's nonsense. The GPL does not restrict the *USAGE* of software. Fyodor's
claim that any program reading "proprietary" files generated by nmap is a
derivative work (regardless whehter or not I even used GPL nmap source code
for this) is also clearly nonsense.

If I use nmap code to read the files, I obviously need to have my app fall
under the GPL. If i use my own code to read the files, only I get to decide
which license I use for my code, not Fyodor.

And if anything, the GPL protects indiscriminate use of GPL'ed software.
You cannot say "cannot use in nuclear facilities" or "cannot use in Iran"
or "cannot read Fyodor's file format" or "cannot execute nmap and use its
output files".

What Fyodor is trying to claim is about the same as Microsoft forbidding
you to install GPL licensed software on your Windows machine.

Nothing prevents me from shipping a Windows installer binary,
which contains an nmap binary, and installs a frontend app that uses nmap,
as long as I distribute the source code when my customer asks for it,
despite Fyodor's claims in COPYING. Fyodor's interpretation of a derivative
work is also just wrong. It would make "OpenOffice" a derivative work of
"Microsoft Word" just because it can read .doc files.

Note that other law might prevent you from distributing software. If you're
stuck at being an American, you cannot sell your copy of nmap to Cuba,
regardless of whether you ship the source code. Actually, if nmap is
distributed from the US, a non-american should also not sell nmap to Cuba.

This is one of the reasons why Openswan is (and never will be) distributed
by us on servers or networks based in the US. Currently, our servers are
located in Canada and The Netherlands.

Paul