Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: What are the 'Real World' security advantages of the.Net Framework and the JVM?

From: "Dinis Cruz" <dinis () ddplus net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 02:35:35 -0500

As Dino said, most Internet Explorer browsers today will silently execute .Net assemblies in a .Net Sandbox set to
'Default' (unless the default CAS policy has been changed/corrupted or an exploit is used to trick IE to think that the
assembly is comming from the local computer and give it Full Trust).

 This means that if there is a way to jump out of Partial Trust via a vulnerabiltiy in the CLR or BCL (i.e. the .Net
Framwork) then a very serious exploit could be created which would give an attacker automatic full control over the
infected user's session.

 Based on my experience with the .Net Framework so far, I do believe that there are vulnerabilities similar to the ones
that have been found in Java which will allow such exploits to exits, but as far as I know there are no known (outside
Microsoft probably) examples of these vulenerabilities. Note that I have no proof of this statement (yet) but it is
very worrying the lack of research and focus that this area has receveived over the last 5 years.

 Which is why Florian's comment were quite interresting.

 Florian, what do you mean by 'untrusted CLI byte code'?

 Do you mean code which we don't known where I came from (which btw, is 99% of the code we execute in our boxes) or do
you mean code that is able to exploit the CLR and jump out of the Sandbox?

 Dinis Cruz