Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: CISSP quote of the week

From: Des <security () senticom co uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:34:40 +0100

Well without wanting to be flamed, speaking to Roger Grimes end of last year, he was quite emphatic about two things
from his experience with honeypots, that the greatest amounts of attacks came from automated scanners looking for
existing vulnerabilities and that this fact meant that just changing the default ports was enough to protect against
these attacks.

This may explain the CISSP statement, which given in the context of botnets being driven by organised crime might
actually be true.

True 0days are never going to be detected by existing signature-based techologies used by the enterprise, but this
doesn't mean that the noisy skiddie activity isn't the most prevelant. If it works, why reinvent the wheel?

Just as we judge others, let us be judged on our own objectivity.... just `cos it has CISSP tagged onto it doesn't mean
it isn't true. :)

BTW I ain't no CISSP ;)