Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: RE: Microsoft silently fixes security vulnerabilities

From: Nick DeBaggis <ndebaggis () verizon net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:13:52 -0400

Chris Anley wrote:
As someone fixing an overflow (say), if I apply a 'gating' validation to
some input string near the point that string is received and reject
input greater than some presumably safe length, I have not only fixed
the reported bug but also probably a number of related bugs in other
code further down the call tree that I'm unaware of, maybe because
someone else in my company wrote it, or because it's in third-party
code, or even in a third party binary.

But you've only fixed the 'related' bugs if your validation gate is the only entry point into that particular call tree. If that code path can be hit from a different direction then those related bugs may still be viable. The third-party aspect makes this especially interesting since your validation gate may only be masking the other related bugs in the third-party code, which may cause other users of that third-party code to wrongly assume it is secure as well.

The problem is that neither I (the developer following best practice)
nor the vulnerability researcher, nor anyone writing NIPS/HIPS knows what bugs were actually fixed by my input validation.

Nor does anyone know what bugs or how many were only masked out by it.

Nick