Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Partial Binary Diffing?

From: Jeremy Kelley <jeremy () austin ibm com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:30:03 -0500

Quoting Dave Aitel (dave () immunityinc com):
One thing I'm interested in lately is partial binary diffing. I'm doing
a vulnerability assessment right now, and I notice that they're running
an old version of bobsftpserver.exe. So I download the version right
after that, and try a diff. Unfortunately, both versions are compressed
with some unknown compression utility. So I attach to them with Immunity
Debugger, and I notice they uncompress nicely in memory. IDA's
"universal unpacker" fails, so I decide I need to copy the executables
out, and try bindiffing (with Sabre-Security Bindiff v2) the result.

Export to REML and then work with it there?    You could then use the
pyreml stuff to extract what you want.

REML is xml, I wonder if Amara would let you parse it?  Not that Ero's
stuff isn't nice, but I love the object model that Amara provides for
any XML document.

-jeremy

--
Jeremy Kelley <jeremy () austin ibm com>        Threat Assessment Analyst
gpg  1024D/E0DF8B2D  4BC3 B8B5 5B42 CC8E B6A9 2E85 32D3 C51C E0DF 8B2D