Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: lots of monkeys staring at a screen....security?

From: dmc () digitalapocalypse net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:14:16 +0100 (CET)

Indeed you would expect people to be immune and sufficiently patched
against all the simplistic old attacks. However, this is not always the
case and I've often seen systems during pen tests that have escaped the
patching cycle.

I don't think IDS/IPS systems are the be all and end all of securing your
network but they are definitely not just a check in a box.

For example, I performed a pen test just a few weeks ago for a large,
reputable company. Said company had an IPS system in place and requested
that we performed the test in both scenarios, with and without the IPS.
On the companies main web site we found a subtle SQL injection, permitting
SQL to be injected into a backend database. At first we were able to
successfully inject some statements into the database to pull back things
like version information and perform a little enumeration.
However, when trying to go for the really juicy stuff like a xp_cmdshell
or data from the useful tables I found my connection was continually
dropped. After a number of hours fiddling around I eventually had to ask
them to remove us from the IPS blacklist and in doing so we gained full
access to the DMZ segment.
Now, there probably is a way to bypass the IPS but in this instance the
IPS correctly protected the company from a full compromise and just paid
for itself. Whether or not the vulnerability should of existed in the
first place is a different matter.

- dmc