Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Month of Kernel Bugs and fsfuzzer release (0.6)

From: L.M.H. <lmh () info-pull com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:52:40 +0200

On 10/24/06, Evgeny Legerov <admin () gleg net> wrote:

As far as "filesystem fuzzing" goes, a trivial binary fuzzer by Ilja van
Sprundel may help you to find a few kernel bugs:
http://www.digitaldwarf.be/products/mangle.c

No offense at all, but seems you haven't bothered looking further in
the tool. I'm actually using Ilja's mangle.c. It's "useless" without a
proper 'wrapping tool' or front-end that provides the necessary
functionality.

(...)
/*
  trivial binary file fuzzer by Ilja van Sprundel.
  It's usage is very simple, it takes a filename and headersize
  as input. it will then change approximatly between 0 and 10% of
  the header with random bytes (biased towards the highest bit set)

  obviously you need a bash script or something as a wrapper !
(...)

I've already talked to him on possible improvements and another fellow
started working on a port for FreeBSD (which is extremely welcome).

One of the issues is that some filesystems perform CRC calculation and
other tricks (hint: mtd code). Thus, the time before you're actually
able to find a bug, increases (as most probably the generated output
won't pass the CRC validation).

Cheers.