Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The sky's downward trajectory

From: "George Ou" <george_ou () lanarchitect net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 04:01:12 -0800

DEP is normally only activated for critical system components and left off
for all applications including MS Office and Internet Explorer.  From what I
understand from past experience, Hardware-enforced DEP if enabled has
defeated every zero-day flaw for IE in the past year (at least the ones that
were in the wild) but didn't help against the MS Office exploits (at least
according to Microsoft).  Can these techniques you speak of defeat
hardware-enforced DEP in most or all cases?

George Ou