Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Is Windows Integrity Control in Vista really worth the performance hit? And does it really work?

From: "J.M. Seitz" <lists () bughunter ca>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:22:15 -0800

Ouch! Joanna must have drunk ample amounts of Hatorade today!

As well I doubt this poster has used SeLinux (not lightweight), tried
AppArmor (slightly more friendly) or even attempted to use PaX and the rest
of the GRSec patches, who openly admit you are going to see an 8%
performance hit or more depending on what you are running on the machine and
your own particular setup. Let's not kid ourselves, doing this type of
application level security comes at a cost no matter what operating system
is implementing it.

Now the only tie to performance and security I can justify is that at times
you are going to have to trade in a little of one for a little of the other,
and I'll leave it at that before Miss Rutkowska kicks MY ass.

JS

the performance hit? And does it really work?