Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: stop the presses, security is solved!

From: "Arun Koshy" <arunkoshy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:04:48 +1100

I'm seeing this post with fascination. Are we really this starved for
contrived humor or personal potshots that lead nowhere ?

Very very few things in this world are original and elegant. Most of
the elegant things in security or for that matter any kind of software
is the math behind it. Otherwise most of it is grep through a
datastream.

Innovation is possible with both techniques..  I remember Frans
Veldman who did an astounding job with TBAV [1] .. if you break what
he did down , it could be considered a more sophisticated grep .. but
in function, he achieved a brilliant generic detector ( and in a
limited scope , cleaner ) for that time and age.

I was propably 13 back then and did not get over the sheer elegance of
his "grep" for a while. He pulled it off just when it seemed like the
curve for innovation was tapering for the AVers. Most people knew all
that he did but did'nt see what he saw.

While I don't know anything about the company that is the target of
this post, it may be wiser to reserve comments till their release.
They seem to have a fairly educated team.

[1] - http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/veldman/frans/dutch/tbav.htm#history

P.S. Vanity.. vanity .. all is vanity ;-).