Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Information security certifications diversity andgetting lost

From: "Security Admin (NetSec)" <secadmin () netsecdesign com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:43:14 -0700

From someone who has a CISSP, GCIA Gold, GCIH Gold, MCSE+Security and is about to pass (hopefully) the CCIE Security
lab exam, some perspective:

CISSP:  multiple choice parade which gives minimal indication of security professional proficiency.  It is the gold
standard these days, like it or not

CCIE Security:  Bitch to get, but all it teaches is how to program Cisco devices, which given a choice we would all
prefer something else.  Memorizing how to do DMVPNs or security contexts in ASA Firewalls only means you can memorize
Cisco commands when asked.  I for one, usually grab a reference book like the "The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration
Guide" or the Cisco docs when trying to configure Cisco security devices or I assign some underling to do it.  The
written part is actually better at gauging security knowledge than the lab exam.

GCIA Gold, GCIH Gold:  By far the best certs to learn from IMHO.  Requires writing skills as well as a knowledge of
security.  If you cannot communicate your ideas effectively, than you are useless.

MCSE+Security:  more multiple choice exercises.

My $0.02 (~0.01 euros)

Edward Ray