Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Announcing metasm

From: Julien TINNES <jt () cr0 org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:52:50 +0200

On Sunday 22 July 2007 17:14:21 Dave Aitel wrote:
How do these things differ from MOSDEF (other than having a disassembler?)

Is the goal here an injectable proglet session or just a nice way to
assembler/disassemble shellcode?

Metasm is an assembly manipulation suite. Its purpose is to be a bit more
generic than a shellcode compiler, even if it has clearly been developed with
security tools (and especially exploits) in mind. It can be trivially used to
assemble/disassemble shellcodes but it would be perfectly possible to
implement a MOSDEF-like proglet session manager on top of it.

If you want an example of metasm in action for dynamic shellcode generation,
you can take a look at our remote kernel exploit for Madwifi in Metasploit's
trunk (madwifi_giwscan_cb.rb).
Even if this example doesn't rely too much on advanced features you can still
see how we use .pad and .offset together and how we dynamically inject a
Metasploit userland shellcode by using relocations (metasm has full
relocation support).

If you want to see more advanced usages, take a look at the 'samples'
directory, for instance win32hooker-advanced.rb.
This shows how you can find a process, a library mapped in this process and
patch every exported function by using Metasm.

--
Julien TINNES
http://www.cr0.org