Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The long tail of vulnerable operating systems

From: "Weston, David G." <DAVID.G.WESTON () saic com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:57:35 -0800

  I agree with Dave that a CTF event with 2k, rh7, etc... is rather silly.  That type of deployment is just fine when
your training newb pen testers or demonstrating concepts.  But, isn't the point of having a CTF at a conference to make
it a competition/showcase? I know I personally consider qualifying for a Kenshoto run CTF like Defcon a huge statement
about the skill of the participants and creates a reputation for the competition itself.  I always thought a nice
challenge would be to deploy known exploitable services on boxes with ASLR, N^X, heap and stack canaries, etc...  It
takes a fair bit of skill implement new protection bypass techniques to old exploits in a CTF environment/timeframe.
We can all enjoy a game of basketball in the park but we *pay* to watch the knicks (well we used to anyway!)

Thanks,
David Weston
Security Engineer
SAIC