Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Open Source Methodologies for Application Testing

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:00:24 +0100

Hi,

Take a look at SCARE (www.isecom.org/scare) which is for measuring the
security complexity of source code but the concept still applies.  We use
that as a framework also for application tests as well.  It's from the
OSSTMM 3.0 so the concepts are very new but it really helps you test for
the size of an application's attack surface and the controls in place. You
may want to take a look at it.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Adriel Desautels wrote:
Greetings,
    I am aware that methodologies like the OSSTMM and OWASP exist, but
are there any similar methodologies for performing assessments against
applications like Microsoft Office, etc? I haven't done much searching
so if the answer is obvious then I apologize in advance.