Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Going against the Gradient

From: Jared DeMott <demottja () msu edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:45:13 -0500

Dave Aitel wrote:
I posted a quick paper which I wrote for a private newsletter that
went out in December.
Quicky link is here:
http://www.immunityinc.com/downloads/GoingAgainstTheGradient.pdf
http://www.immunityinc.com/downloads/GoingAgainstTheGradient.odt

-dave

Dave my man.  I agree that security is an arm's race for signature based
products.  Though should we throw out the baby with the dirty water?  Is
no firewall, VLANs, route filtering, IDS, AV, central
management/logging, etc better than a lame one?  And besides perhaps
some witty vendor will come up with a new solution.  :)

Also remember that Information Assurance is not strictly a technical
issue tied to vendor solutions.  There's the other happy crap like
security policies, fences, card swipes, PKI, anti-social engineering
training, disaster planning/recovery, risk management, etc, etc..

Hey, and since you brought up Vista you've got to admit that they're
making exploitation more challenging ... though the reverse affect of
that is that all 0days are now underground and not getting published
since they're worth way too much.  So while Vista may be more secure  in
terms of number of 0days out there ... the severity of secret ones
(which as you mention bypass AV/IDS/etc) has risen.  And it's not like
we can all just stop using browsers and email clients.... :)  Security's
not such a lost cause - it's just as challenging as ever!

Blessings,
Jared