Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Semi-anonymized moderation.

From: "Chris Rohlf" <chris.rohlf () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:13:58 -0500

NIDS was not always worthless. I think the attack volume is just too
large now to monitor effectively with signatures with any hope of no
false positives. Most of my NIDS work these days can be done with
ngrep and a bash script because typically I  am looking to find the
malware-of-the-day.

As for Dave's presentation, one time use 0day cannot be stopped, this
is pretty clear to anyone in this industry. And no NIDS will detect
it. And even if it does - its buried among 5000 other alerts for
google chat and browser toolbar installs. In my experience, NIDS are
slowly turning into mis-configuration/policy detection tools, which is
fine, but doesn't detect an attacker. However some other Anti-* tools
are still somewhat effective and relevant compared to nothing at all.
Its entirely reactive but organizations that use the technology (not
develop it) don't have many other options. The 'real problem' (bad
software) - is not theirs to solve, but it is theirs to deal with.