Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The paradox of our security measures

From: Parity <pty.err () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:18:56 -0700

Nah, no paradox here.

Even among security pros, there's a certain obliviousness to the fact that
the term "security" is overloaded.  Sometimes we mean security-as-in-*
controls* (A/V, IDS, content filtering, etc) and sometimes we mean
security-as-in-*assurance* (the result of practices that yield things
like qmail instead of sendmail, or maybe SQL Server 2005 instead of SQL
Server 2000.)

Put another way, security assurance is what the business pays for, and
security controls are what it gets.

pty