Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: PCI-DSS and ssh public key question

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:22:01 -0400

Not to get too off-topic but one of the questions many merchants have
been asking is how willing is the QSA to standup for their audit
findings and PCI Compliance certification? Hannaford is obviously one
of the more recent examples as they were deemed compliant and yet they
had a fairly large breach.

It's not news that every QSA is different and some are far more strict
than others - are there any accountability standards for QSAs? Can the
PCI Council or the card acquirer effected sanction a QSA for an audit
that was too lenient? Yes, PCI Compliance does not equal being secure
by any means but that is definitely an end-goal of the PCI-DSS (with
another major one being the game of risk transference).

I would also followup Lee's comments, (to keep this on topic), to make
sure said compensating control is proposed to the QSA in writing and
approved by them in writing to maintain the full audit trail. I've
heard of quite a few cases where an auditor says one thing and the
acquirer or Council says another and no one can find the paperwork to
reconcile.